Thursday 29 November 2012

Stand up paddle board (SUP)

STAND UP PADDLE BOARD:  1 hour hire & lesson $45pp.  PORT LINCOLN AND SURROUNDS

I'd been eyeing-off this Sport since I first moved to the Eyre Peninsula.  I've not seen so many paddle boarders in one area before.  There must be something about this sport that has so many people gliding around the bays.  This week, I made the phone call and booked myself in for an hour session.  Expecting it to be a bit like surfing I thought the board would be pretty hard to stand and stay up on.  I dressed in my bathers in anticipation of getting very wet!
SUP through the Marina
To my surprise, paddle boarding on flat water is pretty easy to get the hang of.  There's something beautiful about almost walking on water and gliding along. 
Step 2 will be to take the challenge and try and catch a wave on this board.  I'd definitely recommend giving it a go on flat water - I'm pretty confident that anyone can do it.  Xtreme Kites and Paddle Board cover the whole Eyre Peninsula, run by Jacqui and Scott who are both super friendly.  So if you're like me and have been eyeing off those folks out on the paddle board, skimming across the surface of the water, wondering what it's like? Just give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License